The Official SAAC Forum
December 17, 2017, 08:46:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeper of the registry (question for Rick)  (Read 8769 times)
frank.herbst

Fredericksburg, VA

Email
« on: December 08, 2007, 06:33:21 AM »

Rick,

We have only been club members for 7 years, we bought a 67 GT500 needing a complete restoration in 2000. At this point with what seems to be going on with Team Shelby I think everyone should be asking who will be legally in charge of the registry information SAAC has protected for so many years.

I think it is interesting that the owners of the new cars seem to spend so much time talking about the need to be recognized. I think they should do the same thing the owners of the older Shelby’s have done; enjoy their cars and let time decide what cars will become legends.

Can you even say at this point if SAAC will legally be allowed to continue maintaining the registry?

Thank you… 

DaltonDavid
Innovator Artist Genius
Administrator

Proud SAAC Member

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »

the Registry is information compiled by SAAC and printed in a Copywritten Book form. NOBODY can stop them from maintaining these records. A worst case scenario would involve a Name Change. -Dave

Founding father of www.saacforum.com
frank.herbst

Fredericksburg, VA

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 04:00:34 AM »

Thank you for the response…

Rick Kopec
SAAC Director

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:49:13 PM »

Rick,

Thank you… 

Frank:

You’ve “only” been club members for 7 years? In most other clubs that would qualify you as a graybeard! Actually you’ve been with SAAC for a little less than 25% of its life. Not a plank owner but not exactly a “newbie” either.

This whole situation has put a large magnifying glass on a lot of things and it appears that it’s going to take lawyers on both sides to illuminate the finer points. The law is not always obvious. No one can “take the registry away” from us. What has already been printed has been copyrighted. What is presently “in progress” is the work product and intellectual property of the registrars. No one can stop them from gathering new information and using it to update what they already have. Another person or entity could certainly put together his or her own registry. There is no law against that. Taking what someone else has already done (and which has been copyrighted) is another question entirely. Buy you have to ask yourself, why would someone else want to recreate what SAAC has already created? Maybe they think they can do it better? Let them try. The proof is, as they say, in the pudding.

As for a registry for the newest cars, the start-off information exists: serial number, build date, color, options, dealer, etc. Putting all this information together for a “registry” would be like printing a phone book with numbers but no names and addresses. What would be lacking for a registry for the newest generation of cars are individual histories. That takes time. It will take at least five years before such a registry will have any real value. Just look how long it took for the original Cobra and Shelby registries to become useful documents. History doesn’t happen overnight. It takes years and years and there is no shortcut.

The people in the cheap seats always boo the loudest.
KR3259

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:42:18 PM »

Rick,
 A big thanx from me also!

I will stand by this club no matter what.. you bet!

dues for year six was put in the mail yesterday, it was my pleasure!

1968 GT500KR
Highland Green
shelby001

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »

Rick  With all that is happening lately is there any time line for the printing of the new Registry , or is this all on hold?

C5HM

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 06:58:20 PM »

it appears that it’s going to take lawyers on both sides to illuminate the finer points. The law is not always obvious.

Rick: Too right. Too bad you can't resolve things by throwing a fractious student's boom box out of the class room window, eh!~I am afraid that " student" Shelby will be the one getting schooled in the end. One of the finer points of the law that may need illumination for him, the shills at Shelby Licensing, the Mattel babe and CS's attack lawyers is a handy little equitable defense known as estoppel by laches. Nine years of that will be pretty hard for a judge to ignore. Then there is the gift thing. That will devolve down to a credibility test. I am afraid that CS will not like how he fares in that arena, either. Perhaps noted philosopher, Gomer Pyle,  said it best when he lamented" "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive". Keep your powder dry. BTW, I'm not a plank owner, but 20+ years is nothing to sneeze at either. Looking forward to the next 20. Who knows, maybe I'll actually buy a Shelby sometime.

Rick Kopec
SAAC Director

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:35:53 AM »

Rick: Too right. Too bad you can't resolve things by throwing a fractious student's boom box out of the class room window, eh!~

It appears that one of my exploits in a past life has come back to haunt me. I can live with that, but I'm curious as to your real identity, C5HM.

bret a ewing

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:17:16 AM »

SAAC will get through this and continue it's fine work.

Keep up the good work Rick.

C5HM

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »

It appears that one of my exploits in a past life has come back to haunt me. I can live with that, but I'm curious as to your real identity, C5HM.

Just a friend, Rick. Say, I bet you are glad you are no longer in the classroom (I am SURE glad I'm not), eh? Today the NEA's sensitivity nazis would have had you signed up for "diversity" training followed by electro-shock and possible non-anesthetized gelding for the boom box stunt.  As for me, I can tell you that long stretches in the Federal pen produce more salutary results than boom box drops from second floor windows. Sadly the NEA's modernwork product is just "inventory" for me, I fear. As I posted earlier: Don't knuckle under to the shills and attack lawyers. You can last them out.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:43:56 PM by C5HM » Logged
redshelbys

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 11:17:27 AM »

Rick-
let's just say C5HM is a guy who "carries the torch", you can find many posts on the Boss 302 Registry message board.
As an owner of one or more Shelby's since '94 and SAAC member just as long I have a fair amount of information and literature on many Shelby's that I have seen and or considered purchasing over the years.  Will I be part and parcel to a class action law suit when CS demands all owners turn over documents relating to "his" cars?
Keep the faith!
DW

Rick Kopec
SAAC Director

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 07:39:57 PM »

Rick-
let's just say C5HM is a guy who "carries the torch", you can find many posts on the Boss 302 Registry message board.
As an owner of one or more Shelby's since '94 and SAAC member just as long I have a fair amount of information and literature on many Shelby's that I have seen and or considered purchasing over the years.  Will I be part and parcel to a class action law suit when CS demands all owners turn over documents relating to "his" cars?
Keep the faith!
DW

DW:

I really doubt it will ever come to that.

Rick

shlby66

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:29 AM »

Uhmmmmm..... Caution....Another first time poster.  Agenda?  Cool

zray

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 06:42:29 AM »

after a 3 year hibernation why is this thread breathing again ?

Z.

5S545

Oct 1965 - the new family car!

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 07:41:11 AM »

after a 3 year hibernation why is this thread breathing again ?

Z.

because the joker (spammer most likely) shimeixiaoxiao wants you to go to his website.....  click on the "report to moderator" button on that post and don't reply or go to the site.....bad things will happen  Wink Roll Eyes Tongue

See, our fearless leader, Computerworks made the bad man go away Grin   Thanks Ron!!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:14:48 PM by 5S545 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!