The Official SAAC Forum
April 23, 2014, 02:15:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
SAAC-38 DVD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring Compressor Question  (Read 5419 times)
94Cobra

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 04:40:31 AM »

I agree looking back on it.  I asked what to use earlier in this thread, but the only recommendation I got was paint stripper.  Is kerosene and mineral spirits less combustible that gas? 

I am placing an order today for the 4 rivet USA repro upper control arms and the moog lower arms and tie rods.  I'm still debating if I should use the NOS strut rod bushing kit for $250 or if an aftermarket kit will function as good as NOS.  Obviously, I'm not shooting for a concours suspension here.  Mickey told me that only NOS Ford strut bushing kits will work properly.  I'm inclined to believe him since he has owned more 69 Shelbys than just about anyone.   

Bob Gaines

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 07:26:19 AM »

I agree looking back on it.  I asked what to use earlier in this thread, but the only recommendation I got was paint stripper.  Is kerosene and mineral spirits less combustible that gas? 

I am sorry I didn't answer everyone of your questions on all of your posts in the various threads you have started .  I didn't know that was my job. I think I should be fired.  Hysterical   Yes it takes a little more to kick off Kerosene and mineral spirits combustion wise. It is safest done out doors.Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
94Cobra

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:58 AM »

I am sorry I didn't answer everyone of your questions on all of your posts in the various threads you have started .  I didn't know that was my job. I think I should be fired.  Hysterical   Yes it takes a little more to kick off Kerosene and mineral spirits combustion wise. It is safest done out doors.Bob

Apology accepted.   Grin

Bob Gaines

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »

Apology accepted.   Grin

So I am not fired? Cry   doo     Hysterical      Chug a Lug

94Cobra

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »

No.  You can't get out of this job that easy since I still want you to look at my convertible at SAAC36.    Wink    Do you recall agreeing to do that for me several months ago over the phone?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:45:02 AM by 94Cobra » Logged
sportyworty

Email
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »

I wire wheeled my spindles, strut rods, and drag link then coated them with Bo Shield and they turned out great. Was disapointed to find out the after market rivetted control arms are powder coated. I am not doing a concours restoration either but wanted the finishes correct. After getting the Tie Rods with Fuller boots and finishing these other parts, today was a big let down with the upper control arms. I should have just had the originals done at Rare Parts or Tri City. See how I feel tomorrow about the situation. Bob do you think one of Eastwoods paints with some clear would look semi ok? on the uppers. This is for my 68.5 CJ

94Cobra

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »

I went with rebuilt original upper and lower control arms after a year of debate over repro versus original.  How long ago did you apply the Boeshield and how well does it work after a few years?  I'm considering leaving my spindles unpainted, but am concerned they will look rusty in a few years. 

Bob Gaines

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »

I wire wheeled my spindles, strut rods, and drag link then coated them with Bo Shield and they turned out great. Was disapointed to find out the after market rivetted control arms are powder coated. I am not doing a concours restoration either but wanted the finishes correct. After getting the Tie Rods with Fuller boots and finishing these other parts, today was a big let down with the upper control arms. I should have just had the originals done at Rare Parts or Tri City. See how I feel tomorrow about the situation. Bob do you think one of Eastwoods paints with some clear would look semi ok? on the uppers. This is for my 68.5 CJ
I don't know what your uppers look like now. I am not familiar with all the different repro companies but I have seen some that are pretty cheesy in the ball joint area. I think that maybe the Eastwood detail gray would look  "semi ok" if detailing around the ball joint plate is not sloppy.The painted part will probably stand out compared to the original finish of the other parts. Not to try and make you feel worse on purpose but it sounds like you went to a lot of trouble and I think it is a shame to make a major comprimise now.  Bob

Bob Gaines

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »

I went with rebuilt original upper and lower control arms after a year of debate over repro versus original.  How long ago did you apply the Boeshield and how well does it work after a few years?  I'm considering leaving my spindles unpainted, but am concerned they will look rusty in a few years. 
The painted parts show rust after a while too. I was sold on Boe shield after seeing the no rust results of a Boe shield treated upper control arm left outside a certain southern Indiana hillbilly's shop in the open all winter a few years back. I think as long as you do a cleaning and reapplying every so often depending on your driving habits you should be fine.Bob

Bob Gaines

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »

No.  You can't get out of this job that easy since I still want you to look at my convertible at SAAC36.    Wink    Do you recall agreeing to do that for me several months ago over the phone?
I remember I remember. .

sportyworty

Email
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »

Thanks Bob, the Controls Arms are actually pretty nice minus the waffle stamp but the Powder Coating is not going to come off. I was hoping to just chemical strip them.

The Bo Shield is hard to get off based on my test with hot and cold water. A simple re spray and soaked cloth wiping will likely take care of it if done every couple of years.

Fred G.

Email
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »

The disk type compressor is shown in the Ford Shop Manual. Would love to find one of those.
Using radiator hose clamps would make me nervous.

Hi Guys,
I agree 100% and have used the same disc type compressor as shown in the Ford manual since the 60's.  It's made by OTC:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/otc-front-coil-spring-compressor-7045b-p-14668.aspx?gclid=CPSo2Of3oLACFUSK4AodNEK6ag

Fred

6S1826
06H483
67289V8

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »

Okay, I've installed all new components on the front end and now all I have to do is to re-install the front coils.

I rented the internal spring compressor with the hooks and it scares the hell out of me. I had it fully compressed including the pipe spacer and it still wasn't enough
to get the spring in and then the compressor popped while fully loaded. Fortunately I still have all of my fingers.
So what is going on that with the compressor fully compressed I still can't get the spring in.
I'll try loosening the perches. Frustration

94Cobra

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »

I had to use a small spacer with the spring compressor to get enough room to get the spring in.   Earlier sections of this thread cover the spacer size.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:29:56 PM by 94Cobra » Logged
67289V8

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »

SUCCESS!     THEY"RE IN!   Chug a Lug

I had to separate the upper control arm from the spindle and remove the end link on the lower control arm along with loosening the perch to get the open space needed to insert the fully compressed the spring.

I used the double hook inside compressor rented from national big name auto parts guy.

It took quite a few tries and swearing to get the right positioning of the compressor.  The driver side went well but the passenger side was a bit more trouble.
The hooks of the compressor kept slipping down the spring causing distorting of the spring and scaring the crap out of me so I used hose clamps behind the the hooks to prevent them from slipping and it worked well.

TIP.....Using an air ratchet to run the compressor bolt down during compression was a HUGE help!

......I also wore thick welding gloves with an open palm on the spring and a face shield just in case it let go.  I wanted to still be able to play my guitar after this job..... Smiley

* 0608131006.jpg (73.19 KB, 800x1067 - viewed 37 times.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!