News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

CS discussion

Started by 6972boss, September 24, 2020, 12:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6972boss

So, i am Part of another mustang thread.  This guy named Dave is constantly putting shelby down as a loser, who failed at EVERYTHING he touched. Not sure where the hatred is coming from but ive just about had enough of his rant and detailed what Shelby accomplished. He never has a rebuttle.
Here is one of his rants. ...

was lucky enough to grow up with all the great Muscle cars. There are so many false stories out there it is crazy. As far as Shelby he did absolutely nothing. He somehow fooled many for year. Holman Moody was the Ford backbone. When Shelby wanted to do the mustang Henry Ford II ask H&M to send one of the H&M Falcons to shelby so he would know how to build it. Gale Halderman did an interview just before his death and he confirmed that Shelby designed nothing on the Shelby either H&M or Ford. He was a car salesman and failed so bad that Henry Ford II pulled it all in house to Ford after the 66 run. Shelby could not get the Ford designed GT-40 to work but H&M did.

Even the AC cobra was not thought of by Shelby. The race team in Europe that ran the racing Falcons that H&M built also was first to put SBF in the AC Bristol not Shelby. All he ever did was copy others. He failed with Cobra, Mustang in U.S. Mustang Europa and Mustang Mexico. Failed with Chrysler, failed on his own. But somehow people worship him.
The Boss 429 was not a performance car in any way. It was the least cost for Ford to get the engine in NASCAR. They would not outrun a good 289 in quarter mile with their 13 sec. ET. They for sure did not handle. They had to cut price way down to even sell them. History is so distorted and not real.

I would have to say the GT40 from H&M would be my top pick. Would run forever did not have to wind 9,000 rpm was a torque monster.

You should watch the Gale Halderman videos and also talk to Lee Holman about the GT-40 before he passes.

Ford did all the engineering on their cars not some chicken farmer. He never had a wind tunnel and never had a mfg. facility. Ford owned 100% of the Shelby operation in California.

My 2 cents worth and can all be backed up by actual recordings of Ford and H&M people out there. If you think the movie about the GT-40 was real you are a head in the sand person. Ford came out and made statements and opened up the archives and pulled out all the original Ford designs. Their statement was they understood the film was for entertainment and not for history.

jerry merrill

This guy needs to step away from the crack pipe! Shelby not H/M, won more Sports car races than H/M, not to say H/M wasn't a great company but did not accomplish what Shelby American did.

Well,he got one thing right.C.S. was most definitely a "car salesman"(which is not necessarily a bad thing in my book ;))

Coralsnake

Is he an airline pilot?  ;)

SBCARGUY

Now that's very funny Pete!  8)

FL SAAC

fascinating and intriguing points
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

I have heard the same talking points out of Lee Holman while holding court at Ford Carlisle or Spring Columbus. I would guess that is the source of the ranters point of view especially since he mentions Lee by name . ;)  Just ask Fran Kress other ways to get Lee stirred up. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

ChicagoChris

Yah the Cobra was such a failure that most original CSX's are selling at or over $1M.  Sure is a sign of failure....

Coralsnake

I guess Shelby did one thing better -PR