Author Topic: Shelby Ranchero GT  (Read 1788 times)

jerry merrill

• View Profile
Shelby Ranchero GT
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:54:50 PM »
I have heard of various ultra rare cars of most types (Ranchero, or various other Ford cars) from people at car shows whose brother or uncle had "connections with Shelby" and were able to get their cars modified on the assembly line at Shelby American and there fore they were legit Shelby cars. All ridiculous for hundreds of reasons but I was just looking at an old Jan. 1986 issue of The Ford Enthusiast magazine and an article says that there was indeed a 1978 Ranchero Shelby GT that was made on the Southfield Michigan Shelby Automotive facility (surely it was not operational eight years after production of Shelbys ended). The article goes on to show a not very good picture of a window sticker and various door tags and description of the vehicle and how Ford pushed this through for their 75th anniversary celebration. This car was owned by a Ranchero club member. This is too bizarre for belief but has any one ever heard of this one way or another?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Ranchero GT
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:43:59 AM »
I have heard of various ultra rare cars of most types (Ranchero, or various other Ford cars) from people at car shows whose brother or uncle had "connections with Shelby" and were able to get their cars modified on the assembly line at Shelby American and there fore they were legit Shelby cars. All ridiculous for hundreds of reasons but I was just looking at an old Jan. 1986 issue of The Ford Enthusiast magazine and an article says that there was indeed a 1978 Ranchero Shelby GT that was made on the Southfield Michigan Shelby Automotive facility (surely it was not operational eight years after production of Shelbys ended). The article goes on to show a not very good picture of a window sticker and various door tags and description of the vehicle and how Ford pushed this through for their 75th anniversary celebration. This car was owned by a Ranchero club member. This is too bizarre for belief but has any one ever heard of this one way or another?
Yes . It is a made up story that some photographer /writer apparently took at face value without checking facts and sold the story to the magazine.it was debunked years ago. It is pure fiction.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 01:08:06 AM »
Thanks for the info, i figured as much. That story although detailed somewhat was no better that the experts i used to run into at car shows, way too ridiculous to be based in fact.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
  Around here (Northern Illinois/ Chicago)  there is a fellow who put a Talledega front end on a Ranchero.  Upgrades included the red/white Cale Yarbourough paint scheme.  Cool looking rig.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »
 The only things missing are the "once owned by Carroll Shelby" and the signed dash.
 LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 01:11:24 PM »
I dont think there was a facility at Southfield?

69s were built in Ionia and 70s in Brighton. Just offices in other locations.

But it is a great story...

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
  Factory ten spokes? 8)
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
I was hoping deep down inside that it may be true and join the Bullitt mustangs, Little Red and the Green Hornet at National car shows. Maybe it was owned by Jim Morrison and is stored with his hidden 67. Oh wait he was already gone by 1978.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 06:31:37 PM »
Yes lots of people who knew somebody at Shelby's had their cars Shelbyized - with lunch box parts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Piece_at_a_Time
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless