News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 K code Eleanor?

Started by 67_1183, August 29, 2020, 03:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bob Gaines

The Ford vin is a obvious fake . I know others will recognize this too. I will not go into detail nor would I suggest others to . No use making it too easy for the frauds to make their counterfeits better. If curiosity gets the best of you just compare any 65-70 Mustang apron vin to the picture and you will see the reason. Funny how Gateway had to dance around the  Eleanor trademark name in their ad. you can use the name if your car is certified by the trademark holder.  I am surprised they didn't make ebay omit the name. I was made aware of the lady that owns the trademark aggressively going after the people using it . If she didn't I understand it would go into public domain.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Seems pricey,ugly,AND criminal to me.......I'll pass.

sfm5

I hope that isn't a real K code. What an extreme waste that would be.
65 GT350

Bill Collins

Quote from: sfm5 on August 30, 2020, 12:13:45 PM
I hope that isn't a real K code. What an extreme waste that would be.

No need for concern on this - the first digit of the production number sequence (the last six numbers of the VIN) in 1960's FoMoCo serial numbers relates to a particular carline:

100-300's - Ford vehicles (typically)
400's - Lincoln
500's - Mercury

So the VIN on this vehicle is obviously contrived, as no 1967 Mustang would have a 500,000 series sequential production number.

An interesting side note - Ford built so many Mustangs during the extended 1965 Model year that they reached the end of the 300's at the Dearborn assembly plant. This is why late build '65's constructed there have 600 and 700,000 series VINs, as they had to jump over the numbers reserved for Lincoln and Mercury.

The 1969 Shelbys were an exception with their 480,000 series numbers - done when Shelby identification became standardized with existing Ford practices.  Since Lincoln production would not likely reach that volume, the upper limits of that numeric series were reassigned to identify this specialty model. Ford did the same thing again ten years later, assigning 480,000 VINs to the Indy Pace Car versions of the 1979 Mustang.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

TJinSA

! What on EARTH would happen to a car with a contrived VIN? ?,  :o
Tom Kubler
6S296

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TJinSA on August 30, 2020, 03:05:16 PM
! What on EARTH would happen to a car with a contrived VIN? ?,  :o
I suspect that if you contact the local La Vergne, Tennessee police dept and talk to someone in stolen cars and direct them to the Gateway Classics there locally and to the ebay auction listed  I bet that you would find out . ;) I don't think it would turn out well for the seller.But that is just a wild guess. :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

OldMil

You mean this IS NOT the more desirable Mercury Eleanor??

Don Johnston

Two thoughts.  Is there licensing certification from Halicki estate (they do seize unlicensed cars) and is there any chance that it was done by some bad boys in Texas years ago that liked to put false VIN on salvaged cars? 8)

shelbyhertz66

The movie car was a fantasy and so is the Vin. number.

67GT500#1594

It might just be an infamous "Cougarstang". I found a 67 Fastback with a 67 Cougar front clip grafted onto it! It was actually done very well but had different holes and something just didn't look exactly right!

Cobra Ned

All this speculation and negativity is depressing. Stop it. Here's a good idea - to make everyone happy and put a smile on their faces, let's round up all the K-code fastbacks we can find and make them into Eleanors. Wow! We'll increase the value of those former junkers exponentially, improve the gate at every local car show they attend, receive commendations from the government for beautifying the neighborhoods they visit, and - let's face it - put a really warm feeling into literally every car lover's heart. What the hell are we waiting for? LET'S GO!

Don Johnston

Quote from: Cobra Ned on September 07, 2020, 09:19:00 AM
All this speculation and negativity is depressing. Stop it. Here's a good idea - to make everyone happy and put a smile on their faces, let's round up all the K-code fastbacks we can find and make them into Eleanors. Wow! We'll increase the value of those former junkers exponentially, improve the gate at every local car show they attend, receive commendations from the government for beautifying the neighborhoods they visit, and - let's face it - put a really warm feeling into literally every car lover's heart. What the hell are we waiting for? LET'S GO!

It seems that it has been already happening in every few years.   8)

FL SAAC

We love Gentleman Neds perspective on the situation

Follow our thread on how to stop negativity at ;

Fighting Negativity 2020
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=10046.msg100310;topicseen#msg100310

On to the topic at hand, this vehicle has certain interesting peculiarities....

Quote from: Cobra Ned on September 07, 2020, 09:19:00 AM
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert