Author Topic: 1967 shelby 140mph speedometer with tripometer gauge  (Read 1442 times)

V8Dave

• View Profile
1967 shelby 140mph speedometer with tripometer gauge
« on: August 29, 2020, 02:09:48 PM »
Hello everyone.
I am currently restoring my 67 shelby gauge cluster. I have totally disassembled the gauge cluster and repainted it a bright enamel white and fitted new solid state regulator,new wiring,new bulbs,new blue lense diffusers,nos wiper switch, new bezel and i cleaned all the original gauges and gauge faces very carefully with a soft paint brush so as to not damage them(lightly clean the dust away).
However i noticed today while cleaning the 140mph speedometer and getting ready to reinstall the gauge back in to the cluster however, it appears to be missing on the back of the gauge mechanism near the top where the mileage meter is, the plastic nylon drive shaft that turns the milage wheel mechanism and is connected to the trip mileage meter at the bottom of the gauge,it is missing what appears to be a brass bushing that holds the plastic nylon mileage meter drive shaft at the side of the gauge mechanism at the rear of the gauge and stops the plastic nylon mileage drive shaft from turning out when the speedometer is functioning. I connected a speedometer cable to the gauge and then to a drill and true enough the nylon drive shaft starts to turn out of the gauge mechanism when working. The tripometer nylon drive shaft at the bottom rear of the gauge has what appears to be a brass bush holding it in therefore stoping it from working its way out once the gauge is operating however the top one for the mileage is missing?
I will try to post some photos to better show/explain what i am looking for however i was hoping if anyone could help me or advise me where to get one of these little brass bushings or even tell me what they are called? i have never seen a bushing like it before.It kind of looks like a brass top hat style bushing.
I checked on the back of a normal 120mph mustang gauge and they also have one of these brass bushings that stops the nylon mileage driveshaft from coming out of the rear of the speedometer mechanism.
Once again thank you to anyone that maybe able to help me or educate me as to regards how to find one of these brass bushings. I will try and up load some photos to better show or explain what im trying to find.
Many thanks
Stay safe
Dave

V8Dave

• View Profile
Re: 1967 shelby 140mph speedometer with tripometer gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 06:30:36 PM »
Hello everyone
The brass bushing i am searching for i have pointed to it in the photo with a flat blade screw driver. They use the same bushing on the back of 120mph normal 67 mustang speedometers as well.
The last photo shows the back of a 140mph speedometer gauge with trip and how they should be two of them bushings one for the trip mechanism at the bottom of the gauge and one for the mileage at the top of the gauge. I hope someone can help me.
Many thanks
Dave

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 06:34:28 PM »
Heres the back of the 140mph gauge with trip.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »
   Howabout just "borrowing" the piece you need out of the 120 MPH speedo.

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 02:17:46 PM »
Hello Roddster.
Thanks for the reply. I did think of that as i have a scrap 120mph speedometer however with the bushing being brass and it was in there very tight by the time i got the bushing out with it being brass a soft material it got a little bit beat up however i did manage to get the bushing out. I was hoping maybe someone who has either restored or had there own gauges restored by someone may have come across this style of bushing before as it looks like they where used on all 67/68 mustang and shelby 120/140mph speedometers and could maybe point me in a direction as to where i could buy one or more if they are only sold in packs of 4 for example. I can honestly say i have never seen a bushing like it maybe they use these style of brass bushing in old style grandfather clocks or wall clocks maybe? its all i could think of. Either that or buy some brass bar and machine one on a lathe maybe. I will post some photos of the bushing i managed to extract although its a little beaten up.
It doesnt help i brought this 67 shelby gauge cluster set up years ago as a spare and with lockdown and covid at the moment, i decided to restore it and give the gauge cluster a good look over and just found this one problem.
Thanks for the help and reply Roddster much appreciated.
Many thanks
Dave