The Official SAAC Forum
April 19, 2014, 06:07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
SAAC-38 DVD
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you doing for a spare tire?  (Read 3145 times)
stickshift

« on: February 12, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »

Looking for alternatives to using a full spare in the trunk. What other options are there?

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »

Looking for alternatives to using a full spare in the trunk. What other options are there?
Most likely asking about a early car but It probably would be best to identify 65-70 or late model etc. Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
zray

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »

are you looking make room for spare parts & tools for the inevitable roadside repair ?

Z.

'65K code
stickshift

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »

67 Shelby with 15" 10 spokes. I need a real alternative here without using a full tire as a spare. I have an "original" era space saver. Would consider a compact spare like in current production.

Got a 12 hour drive to SAAC36. Don't want to chance it without a spare. Can't afford to pay a chase vehicle loaded down with spares, jacks, lifts, flares, helicopters, mini bikes and a pit crew.  Roll Eyes

Anyone come up with a decent alternative? Maybe just drive faster to reduce the exposure time?

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »

What happened to Shaz'z tow truck joke?
 Hysterical

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:41:19 AM by Bigfoot » Logged

Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
Bigfoot
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »

Ok      Back to business.

Question
Why not stick a full size spare on back seat?
And just make sure you have AAA.

I drove 250 and 500 each way to SAAC 33 and 34 ( in a similar car) without worrying about it.
Just get a full size and don't worry about it.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:42:21 AM by Bigfoot » Logged

94Cobra

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »

I have a 7 hour drive to SAAC36 and am also thinking about what to do for a spare for my '69 convertible.  I'm probably going to put the spare 10 spoke from my '68 in the trunk of my convertible for the trip.  However, I don't know if the 69 lugs will work with the 68 wheel since the 10 spokes had different lug configurations.  I will probably pack the 10 spoke lugs.  

If you plan to travel during the daylight then having no spare might be an option for you since AAA or roadside assistance is an option.  It may take you several hours to get a new tire, but the odds of getting a flat are quite slim.  

stickshift

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »

Question
Why not stick a full size spare on back seat?
And just make sure you have AAA.

I drove 250 and 500 each way to SAAC 33 and 34 ( in a similar car) without worrying about it.
Just get a full size and don't worry about it.

This is Virginia. That's where I'm gonna carry the shotgun and ammo. No regs about exposed firearms in
that state. Best to show right out what you're packin'. Wink

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »

I don't worry about it and drive my 65-350 with a blue dot mounted on there all the time. (for spare)
That said
I one time just went through a bunch of old steel wheels ( or u can buy one)  and I threw a cheap brand new tire on there that conformed to size of vehicle application needed.
It doesn't even need to be exact.
You could probably use a 14 wheel on a 15 wheel application and just bump up tire size slightly.
Remember
Youllprobably never even need it.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:51:41 AM by Bigfoot » Logged

GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »

Well I think it is far less likely to need  spare on your way to a convention .  Think of all those cars headed in same direction   ...kinda our own private AAA program. No SAAC member would leave one stranded  on side of road ............unless

they were driving a Miata

or  a pantera from yonkers Hysterical

stickshift

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »

Well I think it is far less likely to need  spare on your way to a convention .  Think of all those cars headed in same direction   ...kinda our own private AAA program. No SAAC member would leave one stranded  on side of road ............unless

they were driving a Miata

or  a pantera from yonkers Hysterical

Be that as it may, none of that is my problem. Maybe it's yours?

I am looking for alternatives on a spare. My first preference would be a space saver on a 10 spoke. I presume that those must be a thing of the past?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:52:46 AM by stickshift » Logged
shlby66

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »

Don't ever remember seeing a space saver on a 10 spoke before.  Popcorn

Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »

What happened to Shaz'z tow truck joke?
 Hysterical
Tow truck!

stickshift

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »

Don't ever remember seeing a space saver on a 10 spoke before.  Popcorn

I've only seen them on the steel wheels. My tire guy says he can't mount them and they need to be purchased as an assembled unit from Ford? Weren't those things originally some kind of aircraft tires? I think the inflation cans became some sort of an issue. Probably banned by Homeland Security so Al Kida, who is that guy, I think I know him, can't turn it into some kind of a bomb?

I was hoping to find some tricky Devils here that came up with something compact and cool like a space saver mounted on your spare 10 spoke.

A full spare in a Mustang is a killer to begin with. A 67 Shelby is even worse because of the extra inch that the inside cover of the tail lamps takes up in the trunk and the 67 trunk counter balance rod takes up some to. When you put the tire in it isn't so bad, but when it needs to come out, lookout.

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »

Full size spare fits in a 68 no problem.
FYI.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!