The Official SAAC Forum
October 31, 2014, 12:35:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kelsey Hayes Mag Star wheels  (Read 1775 times)
Helmantel

Email
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:05:04 AM »

I came across a site about an Intermeccanica Omega (Italian car with 289 Ford engine) and somewhere halfway down it shows a picture of the Kelsey Hayes Mag Star wheels, but the caption says: "Amazingly, this Omega still rolls on its original alloy-steel wheels, made in Italy by Campagnolo--and copied later in the U.S. as "Magnum 500s." Tires are brand new radials of the correct size 195/70-14 all around."

http://californiaclassix.com/archive/68_Omega_c460.html

I know that Campagnolo used to make wheels for cars, but had never heard they originally designed the Mag Stars. Of course, there was a lot of copying going on in the 1960's wheel business, so I guess it's not impossible. Any truth to the statement on that website?

Of course, the Magnums only look similar but are not copies of these wheels.

Rodney T

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »

I've only seen one Intermeccanica car in my life.  Don't even recall the wheels.  But, the only way to prove this would be to see the casting numbers and manufacturer markings on the back side of the wheels.
They sure do look like Kelsey Hayes Magstars to me.

GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »

I've only seen one Intermeccanica car in my life. -----
They sure do look like Kelsey Hayes Magstars to me.

having worked on 3 of these   none had magstars
 All were rustbuckets before restoration
they were italias (convertible)   

Wire wheels were more common .........  and they sure didn't copy the engines  ..... im sure the wheels are K/H these cars were  mostly ford powered.  Black car i worked on had 351 c with webers  and owner added 5 speed.

CSX4781

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

What I remember reading, these were Jack Griffith's last hurrah, the replacement for the Griffith 400 series. These things weren't supposed to be finished in Europe- they were supposed to be finished on Long Island. The cars were not delivered to Griffith (either a dock strike or Griffith's inability to pay for the cars) and Griffith went under. Supposedly, a number were finished by Holman-Moody. Alas, American parts to complete these cars. Those definitely aren't Campagnolos.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:08:53 PM by CSX4781 » Logged
Helmantel

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:38:34 AM »

You're right, Holman Moody using American sourced wheels to go along with the American engines is a much more plausible scenario. Besides, I have never seen a Campagnolo product that is not made out of aluminium or magnesium (I don't think they make car wheels anymore, but are still active with high end bicycle components), so wheels with a steel rim would be an odd product for them.

car 26-JD

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »

I remember seeing these on the floor of a new car dealership, don't remember the year, with my dad and one of my uncles. Yes, the dealership was in New York.

1967 GT350 - car #26
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!