News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Backup wiring location into car

Started by tonys_shelby, August 11, 2020, 07:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

I'm trying to see where the backup wire Switch goes into the car for a 4 speed.  In the Wiring assembly Manual it shows it going over the trans. Up to the firewall and going in somewhere in the middle. Is that correct?  As noted in earlier post have aftermarket firewall so had to add a couple of holes that were not there. I thought there was a hole right by the shifter. Tony

JD

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 11, 2020, 07:33:09 AM
I’m trying to see where the backup wire Switch goes into the car for a 4 speed.  In the Wiring assembly Manual it shows it going over the trans. Up to the firewall and going in somewhere in the middle. Is that correct?  As noted in earlier post have aftermarket firewall so had to add a couple of holes that were not there. I thought there was a hole right by the shifter. Tony

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but IIRC the wires/connector plugs into this bundle (square connector?) coming through the firewall here kinda above the gas pedal...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tonys_shelby

Ok I think I see them so the two black with red stripes plug into the corresponding wires on the square plug. I would never have figured that out. Thanks. What would / does plug into the other side of the square plug? The two blue with red stripes? 

JD

I think, IIRC - others will know better, one is the back-up lights and the other is the engine feed to the coil/water temp/oil pressure?  Been too long ...should be in the service manual in the wiring diagrams in the back.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tonys_shelby

I think I found out they would be neutral safety. Thanks again.

Royce Peterson

Correct. The 4 speed reverse lamp harness / connector includes a jumper to complete the neutral safety switch circuit that is not used with manual transmissions.

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 11, 2020, 10:41:34 AM
I think I found out they would be neutral safety. Thanks again.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

tonys_shelby

I'm glad you mentioned the jumper. The guy ( I forget his name everyone here suggested him ) who restored the shifter installed a N.O.S. switch. He said it was a little different and now I know why it doesn't include this jumper just the two wires going down to the switch. The car wouldn't have started I don't think. I could have been chasing my tail on that one.

T-Bone68

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 12, 2020, 07:03:34 AM
I'm glad you mentioned the jumper. The guy ( I forget his name everyone here suggested him ) who restored the shifter installed a N.O.S. switch. He said it was a little different and now I know why it doesn't include this jumper just the two wires going down to the switch. The car wouldn't have started I don't think. I could have been chasing my tail on that one.

Strange... I have both NOS and Daniel Carpenter repro in my garage.  Both have the jumper.  Whatever you do, don't be like my previous owner.  When I got the car, I checked into why the backup lights weren't working.  Not only was the backup switch missing, they hacked into the backup switch feed and the headlight harness to run a jumper in between so the car would run.  I'm dumbfounded why they didn't just find a backup switch.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 12, 2020, 07:03:34 AM
The factory harness has the jumper built in . If the jumper is missing on a makeshift DIY harness or is cut on a factory harness Yes, the car will not start.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tonys_shelby

Thanks I was looking at Npd to purchase a new harness to backup switch and didn't see one listed. I will check Daniel Carpenter.

tonys_shelby

I went on the npd web site and found it. That looks a lot more like what I need. I don't know what it was he put on the shifter? Just the 2 wires and 2feet longer than they need to be. Correct colors though.

tonys_shelby

The one he installed is marked C4ZA-A. ?  Probably paid way to much for it too. He did do a great job on the shifter.