Author Topic: Torque Converter needed  (Read 4536 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Torque Converter needed
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:36:39 PM »
Hi All,

Can someone point me to a quality torque converter available?  I am looking to purchase a new one for my 66.  Car will be street driven only and has a stock rebuild of the engine.

Thanks
Shawn

aj

• View Profile
Re: Torque Converter needed
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »
Consider calling Jay at Broader Transmission.  Google it.  He’s a true craftsman and builds his converters in house one at a time.  He might not answer during the day while he’s building or dynoing trannies.  But he’ll call you back.   

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »
I appreciate that just looking for specs on stall size etc.  Hopefully he knows all details required for a stock 66

Thanks

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »
   Shawn,
      While the MPC doesn't note any particular information on the "AJ" ink stamped convertor supplied in the K code applications , they DO have a slightly higher stall speed than a "regular" C4 convertor. If you use Jay ( a great choice) ask him for a "mild" increase in stall to 2,000 ( over the 1,800 stock). This mild increase will mimic the original and not hurt fuel economy in any way. I have "cut apart" an original AJ convertor out of my Hertz car and know the internal fins were modified from a "standard" version convertor. The 289 hipo cam was the reason for the increase in "stall speed" to improve lower rpm drive ability.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.