The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 09:24:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnum 500 Identification  (Read 37003 times)
Bob Gaines

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »

65-67 and 68-69 Rally Wheels were riveted.  This would seem to simplify restoration procedures.
Not so much. Try to find a company to re rivet the wheel. I know specialty wheels rivets the wheels that were done that way originally. They do restorations anymore (enthusiast owner died).  All the other companies weld the rims to the centers . Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Bob Gaines

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »

The rims were welded because the center was steel also. The only time I have seen a riveted rim was because the center was aluminum and the rim steel. some of the repro centers overcame that and mixed a steel slug in with the aluminum during the mold process so the steel slug would weld to the rim . The separating of the rim is the most delicate part of the restoration process of the Hertz wheel . I have been told you have to ether sacrifice the rim or the center when separating the two for rechroming.you have to cut the weld off.  You have to separate the two when chroming because it is impossible to polish close where the rim meets the center. It makes the most sense to sacrifice the center IMHO because they make perfect replica centers (minus any numbers) where as the rims are next to impossible to find. I am hopeful Jim C. efforts to repro the H wheel is successful.  Bob
I should clarify that I am referring to Shelby riveted wheels. Bob

Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »

Bob,
I've delt with specialty wheels in the past, Ii's a class act.  How long ago did the owner die?
 Last year I had them build one 5 1/2''x14 Magnum.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »

Bob,
I've delt with specialty wheels in the past, Ii's a class act.  How long ago did the owner die?
 Last year I had them build one 5 1/2''x14 Magnum.

Tom, died about 3 years ago now. His wife sold the company about a year ago. I may be wrong but they didn't restore wheels as late as a year ago. We were trying to get them to do some H wheels. Did you have a old wheel restored or have them make up a wheel from new parts (center and rim) ? Bob 

Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »

It was a new one,Bob. 

GT350H

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »

I have looked at three of my original five chrome Magnum 500's now.  None of these have any markings on the back side of the rim that I can find.  The back side centers of two of the three wheels each have a 3 on one indented section (not a "spoke" like I originally called it) of the wheel, and a D with a tiny 5 stamped inside of it on the indented section just to the right of it (looking at the rear of the wheel).  On the third wheel, it has the same 3, but with an 0 with a tiny 5 inside of it.  I have no idea what those markings mean.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to take good photos of the markings because the wheels are so dirty.  But on the one attached, you may be able to make out the 3 just to the right of the left wheel slot shown in the picture.  The D (with the 5 inside of it) is just to the left of the right wheel slot shown in the photo, but not visible.

As for refurbishing, I bought 6 used Hertz wheels from a forum member a while back and had True Design Wheel in Denver refurbish 5 of them.  I was able to get 4 good drivers and one good spare out of the 6 total.  As Bob says, the centers must be cut out, and both the centers and rims rechromed.  As far as I understood though, they can both still be used when reconstructed as long as they are good.  But the rim, if too far out of true, which can't be determined by just the eye, cannot be re-used for a drive wheel.  They can make a good spare though, which I had done with one of mine. 

I have no idea if my original 5 Magnums can be refurbished into good drive wheels or not, but I will be keeping them anyhow. 

* P1100109.jpg (127.9 KB, 800x600 - viewed 288 times.)

~ Bill
Owner of my Hertz Shelby since October 6, 1969.
Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »

You guys are a fountain of information. Thanks again!
Dave

Bob Gaines

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »

Don't look now but 4 restored H wheels poped up in the for sale section. Bob

Charles Griffith

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »

In the late 80s I bought a set of four wheels from Tom Sensabaugh in Sandy Oregon. Tom did very good work back then but has past on. The centers were removed from the rims and were both usable. Been told good restorers use a special wheel lathe to remove the centers now. These are the pictures I took way back when I had just received them.

* PD_0001.jpg (63.67 KB - downloaded 122 times.)
* PD_0002.jpg (44.72 KB - downloaded 135 times.)

* PD_0003.jpg (57.12 KB, 800x526 - viewed 303 times.)
Charles Griffith

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »

This is a picture of a gray painted wheel from a set of four that was purchased from Ford in the late 60s - early 70s. One wheel was chrome under the painted surface. My guess--Maybe a wheel that the chrome didn't meet inspection standards and was painted.

* Painted wheel stripped-chrome-under.jpg (72.87 KB, 800x550 - viewed 288 times.)
KenFirch

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »

Here's a pic of the numbers on one of my grays.   I had them repainted over 25 years and wasn't happy with the color (too light), so they've banished to the rafters ever since.   Plus I have a Hertz car anyway.
I was talking to the guy at SAAC 35 who had the red 66 convertible 350, and he said he found someone who re-chromed his magnums without removing the centers.  He said he paid dearly for it. 
I'm skeptical, but maybe it can be done.     Ken

* IMG_2617a.jpg (28.28 KB, 800x600 - viewed 333 times.)

* IMG_2622a.jpg (71.12 KB, 800x600 - viewed 292 times.)
Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »

That wheel's color combo would certainly turn some heads at the car show! HeadSpin

* Painted_wheel_stripped-chrome-under.jpg (72.87 KB, 800x550 - viewed 212 times.)
Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 11:31:24 PM »

Ken, thanks for the pic of the stampings inside the rim. Interesting....

Bob Gaines

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »

Here's a pic of the numbers on one of my grays.   I had them repainted over 25 years and wasn't happy with the color (too light), so they've banished to the rafters ever since.   Plus I have a Hertz car anyway.
I was talking to the guy at SAAC 35 who had the red 66 convertible 350, and he said he found someone who re-chromed his magnums without removing the centers.  He said he paid dearly for it. 
I'm skeptical, but maybe it can be done.     Ken
It can be done.  That is a certainty. On the ones I have seen done that way the chrome looked duller in the area where the rim and center meet when compared to the surrounding chrome. Bob

GT350H

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

Sorry folks, I forgot to look on the end of my rims when checking for markings (duh!).  I was only looking at the inside back of my rims before.

So here are how my Hertz wheels are stamped, on two lines: 

14 X 6   JK   UNISTYLE    (followed by an inverted 2)

795C   MADE IN USA    (followed by an H with a 5 in the lower half)  (followed by a circle with M over W enclosed, the Motor Wheel logo)

* P1100110.jpg (82.01 KB, 800x600 - viewed 282 times.)

~ Bill
Owner of my Hertz Shelby since October 6, 1969.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!