Author Topic: Sway Bar Finish  (Read 1536 times)

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Sway Bar Finish
« on: July 15, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »
I did a search on this Forum and the Concour Mustang Forum and did not find an answer.  Maybe I did not have the correct wording.  It seems to me there was a thread on the old Forum about the correct finish.  My memory recalls maybe the finish was how it looked after manufacture, similar to the coil springs.  Is this correct?  Or, were they phosphate and oil?

Thanks,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Sway Bar Finish
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
I did a search on this Forum and the Concour Mustang Forum and did not find an answer.  Maybe I did not have the correct wording.  It seems to me there was a thread on the old Forum about the correct finish.  My memory recalls maybe the finish was how it looked after manufacture, similar to the coil springs.  Is this correct?  Or, were they phosphate and oil?

Thanks,

Greek
You are correct that the 65/66 Shelby 1" sway bar was typically not painted but instead had the dark spring steel finish after being processed at the MFG.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 11:05:08 PM »
Bob, thanks for the confirmation.  I suppose they had a paint code as well to designate their application.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:19:29 AM »
Bob, thanks for the confirmation.  I suppose they had a paint code as well to designate their application.
I don't think so in this case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 04:52:11 AM »
...............I suppose they had a paint code as well to designate their application.

+1 For Bob's comment
No identifying paint code. No reason to have one given the production process - Unlike some other years
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
Thanks Bob and Jeff.  I did not see one when cleaning 25 plus years ago, but was not sure.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 11:01:06 AM »
   Great discussion! More than one HIGH end restorer has added the yellow and green stripes to a 65-66 when they were never there! Mine ( off the car for 46 years) is natural finish and not a hint of paint on it.
   Another item OFTEN marked incorrectly is the idler arm . I found a cache of twenty NOS XRR arms at Holman Moody in '77 and bought them all. They had a "faded" blue paint mark on all of them. No yellow , green , pink , etc.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.