Author Topic: R Model side windows  (Read 3767 times)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
R Model side windows
« on: July 13, 2020, 12:45:38 AM »
I just spotted R Model window frames on Gas Ronda's 1965 A/FX Mustang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJaa15Ayfik
I guess it could be expected. Les Ritchey who owned Performance Associates maintained the car and built Gas' engines. He also converted the factory 65-66 GT350 drag race cars for Shelby American. Performance Associates were SoCal's best Ford racers at the time. Just about every Ford dealer who was sponsoring a car had them prep it. I wonder how close Perf Assoc worked with SA on other projects. They used Belanger Headers (another Covina, CA company) on the Dragon Snakes. Belanger was less than 2 blocks from Les Ritcheys shop.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: R Model side windows
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:37:32 AM »
I just spotted R Model window frames on Gas Ronda's 1965 A/FX Mustang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJaa15Ayfik
I guess it could be expected. Les Ritchey who owned Performance Associates maintained the car and built Gas' engines. He also converted the factory 65-66 GT350 drag race cars for Shelby American. Performance Associates were SoCal's best Ford racers at the time. Just about every Ford dealer who was sponsoring a car had them prep it. I wonder how close Perf Assoc worked with SA on other projects. They used Belanger Headers (another Covina, CA company) on the Dragon Snakes. Belanger was less than 2 blocks from Les Ritcheys shop.

That is Ronda car #2. The first car ( crashed @ Lions when an axle broke) had roll up windows as did Les's car. When Les's car was upgraded to a '66 , he got "plastic" windows too. Les built the SAI drag race GT350s and was keenly aware of what was available.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »

That is Ronda car #2. The first car ( crashed @ Lions when an axle broke) had roll up windows as did Les's car. When Les's car was upgraded to a '66 , he got "plastic" windows too. Les built the SAI drag race GT350s and was keenly aware of what was available.
     Randy

Yes - Ford gave Gas a second car after the found out the axle broke and it wasn't driver error. I hadn't noticed the windows in Les' car before. I heard his car was still at Holman & Moody where Ford had it sent after he was killed.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
   I know . I was given the tag off of the wreck. It is now owned by Brent Hajek

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 05:08:07 PM »
Tasca's '65 AFX car also received R-model window frames part way into the season and still has them today...

dangcarnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 09:25:46 AM »
Has anyone noticed the difference in the two side window frames of the cars in this topic? Gas Ronda's window A frame is much smaller than the Tasca's car window A frame. Did  possibly Les Ritchey build his own, or is this an early vs later version thing going on?

John 

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 05:21:34 PM »
Has anyone noticed the difference in the two side window frames of the cars in this topic? Gas Ronda's window A frame is much smaller than the Tasca's car window A frame. Did  possibly Les Ritchey build his own, or is this an early vs later version thing going on?

John
Not until just now..... Maybe Howard will chime in on the window history. All the photos I've seen (just googled) show the Tasca style window on all of them. The R Models had a slide up window in the channel and it would be easier to control as a square window rather than with the curved area at the top front edge.
Here's another A/FX car in 1968 with "normal" R windows

CSX4781

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »
The aluminum framed side windows with the smaller sized 'vent' windows are something Holman Moody did (in addition to Gas Rondas second car, ive seen them on the first iteration of the Batcar). The R Model frames are unique to the Tasca car, something they did during 1965. At least one race in 1965, they also had an R Model rear window in it. Bondy Long bought it for 1966, at that point,  the standard rear glass was reinstalled but the R Model side windows remained. Carson Hyman drove it in 1966 as Bowani Ford, and Sam Auxier match raced it in 1968 as Bowani II, also drove it in NASCAR Ultra Stock. The R Model side windows were still in it when it turned up a few years ago

Dave

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 08:40:17 PM »
We've spoken several times about Gas Ronda's first car being crashed. Here is the only photo I've ever seen of it. It's taken in back of Les Richey's shop in Glendora. That's his Thunderbolt next to it. Don't get excited those look like Hurst wheels on the car behind it not Cragars.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »
    What was interesting about that crash was it broke the right side axle , not the left which is more common. This crash caused Ford to redesign the axles, I have a pair of first and second designs.

The windows were added after Rhonda got the car and yes they were one of the first pair used on an A/FX Mustang. They were designed to "look" like a factory window  , but the "action" was not "smooth" making them a pain to lower and raise. (Rules required them to be "functional") The H&M improved design was smooth and trouble free.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:38:44 AM by gt350hr »

cushmancomp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 09:30:32 PM »
Any info on these side window frames and 1/4 window Kits I found near LA last year ?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 09:59:00 PM »
Used first in the competition model 65 GT350.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 10:00:19 PM »
The box looks like it was for the 66 rear side windows. I'd assume the R Model windows to have as 65 part #. Jim Murieta at OVC recently bought the original tooling for the side windows.

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 03:04:05 AM »
The box looks like it was for the 66 rear side windows. I'd assume the R Model windows to have as 65 part #. Jim Murieta at OVC recently bought the original tooling for the side windows.
that's good to know, as I thought cobra automotive had the original tooling, maybe it's the rear window U am thinking of?