News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Transmission install- sequence of events?

Started by hurlbird, June 05, 2020, 02:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

My car had both the shifter and lower boots torn when i removed the transmission from the car. (4 speed). I simply unbolted the chrome shifter and dropped everything out below. Now that I am putting it all back and looking at the new boots i realize i probably need to approach this in a specific sequence. I checked many sources and havent seen anything giving insight into best practices for reinstalling.  So... a few questions i have are:
1. Do i need to pull the center console?
2. I assume the lower boot goes on first?
3. I see screw holes on both boots are those screws under the consule and the upper boot "pops" through?

The connection to the bell housing etc. i am set with it, its just the shifter/boot situation that has me puzzled. Any help would be appreciated. -John

Greg

I would post what year car I was working on which would help.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Coralsnake

Yes the console has to be out to install the shifter boot under the accordian boot inside the car.

hurlbird

that being said thoughts on installing with the chrome shifter in place or attatch from the top after the tranny installed?

Corey Bowcutt

It has been a couple years since I did this but this is my recollection.

1) As Pete said yes you must remove the console.
2) Yes the lower boot comes up thru the square hole in the trans tunnel and lays on the top side of the tunnel.  The upper boot then goes on on top of the lower boot.  Meaning the lower boot lip is sandwiched between the trans tunnel and the upper boot.
3) yes the same 4 screws mount both boots and they are under the console ( and under carpet for that matter).

I would install the chrome shift lever after trans in installed.  It would really get in the way and probably not possible to do it before.

Make sure you have all the correct hardware when mounting the chrome shift lever.  Installing with incorrect hardware or missing washers will cause an issue pretty quickly.  Ask me how I know.

Corey

TLea

The whole beauty of toploader is ease of shifter install. Assembly shifter (minus stalk) rods etc on trans with lower boot in place. Don't forget backup switch. Adjust linkage on the bench, you can prefill with fluid as long as you have cap on output shaft. Install trans and completely connect everything. Once done go inside car and pull lower boot lip inside and over holes. Install stalk with upper boot and screw down to floor with 1/4-20 phillips head screws. Install your console and done. Generally you need passenger seat out to install/remove console. Don't forget chrome beauty ring goes on top of woodgrain

hurlbird

hurlbird

other than another shaft any tricks for sealing the output shaft while doing the install?

roddster

Mustang suppliers sell a plastic dummy plug for that.  Or, yu can use an old driveshaft yoke if you have one

KR500

Your local auto parts store should be able to supply the transmission tail shaft plug
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

hurlbird