Author Topic: Best SB plug wire  (Read 8621 times)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Best SB plug wire
« on: June 05, 2020, 02:18:01 PM »
What company makes the best Aftermarket plug wire for a stock 289. Preferably black in color.  I’ve been using the marti plug wires for 2 restos and want to get away from those. And I’m looking for a great aftermarket brand.

Any help is greatly appreciated👍🏻

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Re: Best SB plug wire
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 09:14:29 PM »
Do you want a concourse appearing set or just something that performs well? If you are looking for the latter try wires from Fire Core 50. You can get black or orange.
http://www.firecore50.com/

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 01:04:31 AM »
Denso makes a high quality set that is fairly original looking. (671-8102)

Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
My local advance auto has the Denso plug wires but says the 671-8102 will not fit a 289 Ford engine😳

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 04:51:41 PM »
My local advance auto has the Denso plug wires but says the 671-8102 will not fit a 289 Ford engine😳

Yeah, well, it's Advance Auto.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:49:36 PM by cj750 »
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 06:43:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys, I do appreciate it.

I've been having a miss at idle rpm's. When I slowing increase the rpm's,  it fades away and runs more smoothly.

I know I need to go ahead and tune up with plugs, points, condensor, rotor button, etc., and I was wanting to go ahead and change out the plug wires. 

But seems I heard sometime in the past that a rough idle with a smoother run at rpm increase could be a rocker arm that has tilted and not making contact, or worse, a flat lifter. 

I'm going to pull my plugs tomorrow for quick inspection and thought while I was at it, pull the valve covers and see if maybe I did have a rocker arm tilted.

I will set the timing, but I just done this a few years ago, but since I was at tuning up everything, naturally I'd set the timing. 

Any thoughts on rough idle and rocker arm?

As always all help is deeply appreciated,
Rich
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:12:04 PM by 69mach351w »

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
If the tune up doesn't fix it, then I could see a bent pushrod, failing lifter or bad cam lobe as realistic possibilities. But I'd expect a "tilted rocker," if that's even possible on a stock 289, to cause worse problems with increasing RPM, not smooth out. It's always a shot in the dark diagnosing problems over the internet though. So if you do pull the valve covers, let us know what you find.

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
Before I go crazy, I would identify which cylinder is missing at idle by pulling each wire individually and then checking for a vacuum leak. Also, spray light mist of carburetor cleaner into the carburetor as the engine is running. If the engine Smooths out, you know it's a vacuum leak. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:47:06 AM by 68stangcjfb »
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »
Before I go crazy, I would identify which cylinder is missing at idle by pulling each wire individually and then checking for a vacuum leak. Also, spray light mist of carburetor cleaner into the carburetor as the engine is running. If the engine Smooths out, you know it's a vacuum leak. Just a thought.
I cant keep the engine idling, it will stall. So, should I go ahead and tune up? Was going to do that anyway.

What do you guys think about changing over to Pertronix electronic ignition?  And an electronic voltage regulator? 

BTW cj750, no rocker arm tilted.

Should I go ahead and adjust the valve lash while I  have valve covers off?  Some may be too tight anyway.

Any help very appreciative  ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:22:53 PM by 69mach351w »

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »
My guess is you have the valves improperly adjusted, no tilted rocker arms, just out of adjustment. I don't know if you have the old style rockers or the newer style rocker where the sides of the rocker arm has actual sides to them cradeling the valve so to speak. You can pull the valve cover off cut a piece of cardboard to fit down in the cylinder head below the valve springs and laying up on the shock tower to catch slinging oil and to make a trough basically. Get a socket with an extension while engine is running, back off each valve individually until it starts to rattle or clack then tighten it until it stops, then go approximately half turn more to give the valve its preload. This should get you in the ballpark and your engine should start to smooth out if this is your true problem... Good Luck

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 07:28:59 PM »
Thanks, that is some great info 427heaven.  I've done this before but has been a loooong time ago ;D

I googled valve adjustment but was wondering what to use to keep oil from slinging all over the place.  Seems I remember this old Mechanic using some old valve covers cut sort of half way out so as to get to rocker arm nut and adjust the lash w/o the oil getting all over the exhaust ;)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:34 PM »
You can do it grasshopper... We have faith in you! In the words of GUNS AND ROSES - Just a little patience ;)

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 04:25:24 AM »
Try using these clips to deflect the oil while you're adjusting the valves, makes it a lot easier.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »
I tried to give you the fastest, easiest way to get to your goal without writing a thesis on the subject matter. You ask 100 guys how to do something and you will get 100 different answers on how to do it. I was going to explain the techniques on how to do it with feeler gauges and spinning the pushrods with your thumb and index finger but that would complicate your goals if not experienced with said techniques. My way is the backyard fix to a repair that I have done since my youth where a couple of times I spooled up my ride a little too tight at the drag strip and couldn't drive it home, so an old timer saw a struggling young man and said here let me help you. A lesson learned and one that I am happy to pass along. ;)