The Official SAAC Forum
July 24, 2014, 05:20:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strut Rod Problems with Inner & Outer Sleeves  (Read 1368 times)
94Cobra

« on: November 12, 2010, 08:18:57 AM »

While replacing the strut rod bushings/insulators on my '69 convertible, I accidentally damaged the inner and outer metal sleeves that the strut rod passes through.  These thin metal sleeves are approximately 5" long.  They were kind of rusty and required a bit too much torque to separate them, which caused the damage.  To make matters worse, the alignment shop seems to have damaged the strut adjustment threads.  I realize I need a new strut rod.  My question is are the inner/outer sleeves available new?  All the used strut rods I have found are rusty and I'm sure the sleeves are junk and will not survive a separation during install.  How do the restorers get around this problem?  Thanks in advance. 

Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »

Moog makes a good replacement strut rod bushing kit.   Wink

Bob Gaines

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »

My question is are the inner/outer sleeves available new?  All the used strut rods I have found are rusty and I'm sure the sleeves are junk and will not survive a separation during install.  How do the restorers get around this problem?  Thanks in advance. 
I believe they are available new but not with any bushing that resembles stock. NOS kits come up for sale occasionally . The 70 version of the strut rod kit (which has the sleeves)is by far the easiest to come by relatively speaking. They reproduce the strut rods but they are available nice used from a variety of vendors that specialize in used parts . FYI It best to buy a part like this from a vendor not located in the rust belt. Wink  I hope this helps.Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
94Cobra

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »

Thanks Bob and Shasmu - that helps a lot.  The NAPA bushing kit photo shows that it comes with the inner sleve.  The Moog kit does not show the inner sleve in the photo.  I will likely go with the NAPA kit since I need the sleeve.  I will keep my eye out for a used original left side strut rod that is not from the rust belt.  I think I remember reading the reproductions were breaking due to lack of strength. 

acman63

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:00:07 AM »

The reproductions also have a weird thread size,  you cant use original hardware on them. The reason they are breaking is all the solid bushings that are in use.  These things arent designed to run hard bushings

pmspero

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »

The reproductions also have a weird thread size,  you cant use original hardware on them. The reason they are breaking is all the solid bushings that are in use.  These things arent designed to run hard bushings
+1

Rodney T

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »

Lets talk about the damaged threads.
There are dies you can buy to restore the threaded area.  And, are the nuts so rusted they won't move.  Heat them up with a torch (yes, its smokey and will destroy the rubber) to move them off of the strut bar.  New nuts are available.
I would be surprised if a new Moog kit also did not have the sleeves in them.
Finally, don't rule out needing to go buy the correct size wrench for the alignment fellow to use on your car.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!