Author Topic: Bogus NOS 67 GT500 Grill Emblem on Ebay buyer beware  (Read 1601 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Bogus NOS 67 GT500 Grill Emblem on Ebay buyer beware
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:05:04 PM »
 Ebay seller posted dark pictures of a emblem and claimed NOS .
   https://www.ebay.com/itm/193470500252  In the item specifics he listed Ford as the brand. He said it was new and he had only taken it out of the bag for pictures. My  Reprodar was activated. Repros come in bags genuine Ford came in boxes . When asked if the emblem was plastic or metal he said metal. That was a innocent enough question which the uninformed assume the genuine were metal and the repro was inferior more fragile plastic chrome.The metal repro emblems are one of the few things that can be said are made better then the originals.The color of the repro emblem plaque itself not so much.  He replied it was pot metal and said he would post better pictures. The pictures were a little better and this time showed damage enough to which would render a repro unexceptionable let alone a genuine one.You still couldn't tell if it was the mustard gold background repro or the more true gold original. He said he bought it at a estate auction of a Cobra Mustang collector. True or not that seems to be a common story for uninformed sellers at any rate he is trying to pass it off as genuine. Maybe he thinks it is . i would like to think that rather then him pulling a pookie scam.  At the 80.00 opening bid I am not going to waste anymore time . I suppose since he says it is a Ford brand a ebay buyer would have recourse against the seller if they could prove a repro but how many buyers would get it and not know the difference.  I thought I would bring it up here so no one falls for it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67gt500

• View Profile
Re: Bogus NOS 67 GT500 Grill Emblem on Ebay buyer beware
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 11:36:41 PM »
He does say it’s a Repo in the description.. Maybe he took your advice..

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 11:40:45 PM »
He does say it’s a Repo in the description.. Maybe he took your advice..
To his credit he revised his description. He should also revise his 80.00 starting bid too. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:20:23 AM »
Maybe he did it's $85 now lol

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
Would a magnet stick to a repop badge?  I used to have one, but not sure where it went.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »
Would a magnet stick to a repop badge?  I used to have one, but not sure where it went.
No it is made of pot metal and a magnet will not stick.One way to tell is that the repro has significant weight compared to the feather light plastic original. You can also tell by the flexibility of material.When mounted the original plastic will slightly flex with a flick from a finger nail compared to zero movement of the metal . That type of evaluation is not something you want to do in public because it is not considered polite . Kind of like picking your nose. ;D