News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

First time

Started by Grouper Trooper, March 10, 2018, 05:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouper Trooper

Today was the day to fire up my first total engine rebuild. Date code correct 302 block but with all balanced SCAT internals. Very worked date code correct iron heads, Comp roller cam and rockers, and a dual quad 480 CFM Holley set up by Carl's Ford. I was nervous enough to think about taking one of the doggie downers the vet supplied for our dog when he goes on long trips in the car. I decided a clear, yet nervous head would be the better route. I temporarily  installed a manual oil pressure gauge so I could bring my blood pressure down and stop hyperventilating. I made one last desperate vow to Zeus and turned the key... the 331 spun over very easily and it fired right up when gas got to the Holley's.
I ran it at 2200 rpm for about 5 minutes until I noticed the headers Glowing Orange/Red !

Timing too advanced?

I used a roller cam so I was not too concerned about break-in.
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
2 X 4 Holley's sittin' on all SCAT 331
www.mpaenforcement.com

What are your timing settings?

How did you select your jet size?

Greg

Quote from: Grouper Trooper on March 10, 2018, 05:06:59 PM
Today was the day to fire up my first total engine rebuild. Date code correct 302 block but with all balanced SCAT internals. Very worked date code correct iron heads, Comp roller cam and rockers, and a dual quad 480 CFM Holley set up by Carl's Ford. I was nervous enough to think about taking one of the doggie downers the vet supplied for our dog when he goes on long trips in the car. I decided a clear, yet nervous head would be the better route. I temporarily  installed a manual oil pressure gauge so I could bring my blood pressure down and stop hyperventilating. I made one last desperate vow to Zeus and turned the key... the 331 spun over very easily and it fired right up when gas got to the Holley's.
I ran it at 2200 rpm for about 5 minutes until I noticed the headers Glowing Orange/Red !

Timing too advanced?

I used a roller cam so I was not too concerned about break-in.

Sounds to advanced, what was the water temp?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1