News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT500 Timing Pointer

Started by JWH, May 03, 2020, 01:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWH

A question about the timing pointer on a 1967 GT500. I have the correct balancer but the timing pointer is short and barely reaches the edge of the balancer. The pointer is fastened by two small hex head screws using a 5/16" socket. Doing some internet searches tonight it sounds like the pointer that attaches with the two small screws is correct for a 1967 and older engine but is there a special pointer for the GT500 that is longer to reach the timing marks?
Thanks
Jeff

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on May 03, 2020, 01:35:50 AM
A question about the timing pointer on a 1967 GT500. I have the correct balancer but the timing pointer is short and barely reaches the edge of the balancer. The pointer is fastened by two small hex head screws using a 5/16" socket. Doing some internet searches tonight it sounds like the pointer that attaches with the two small screws is correct for a 1967 and older engine but is there a special pointer for the GT500 that is longer to reach the timing marks?
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff, the typical 390/428 FE pointer is longer .The special 67 427/PI pointer is shorter. It reads like you may have the correct one. If you don't Mansfield mustang has made a exact duplicate .http://mansfieldmustang.com/02-126.jpg
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

Bob, thanks for your reply and the lead to Mansfield for the reproduction. It is nice to know that I may have the correct part for once.

The Going Thing

The timing marks are on the BACK edge of the damper. Are you trying to put the damper backwards?  The pointer is VERY short in comparison to the other pointers.