News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby outboard Light mounting brackets to radiator support only originals

Started by Carofyourdreams, May 01, 2020, 11:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carofyourdreams

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy original left and right side OUTBOARD light brackets that mount to the radiator support. Only originals. If anyone has them for sale. Please call me at 717-675-417nine. Thanks, very much.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Carofyourdreams on May 01, 2020, 11:24:34 AM
Hello everyone, I am looking to buy original left and right side OUTBOARD light brackets that mount to the radiator support. Only originals. If anyone has them for sale. Please call me at 717-675-417nine. Thanks, very much.
For AC car or non AC car? There is a difference. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Had to find my images of the difference Bob is referring to...

hope this helps ...

the non-air examples are on the left side of these two comparisons.  Note the extra vertical piece to direct air into the radiators (both sides) and on the drivers' side, at the top the oval hole for access to A/C fitting.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Wow. I've been looking for years at conventions for '67 a/c GT500s for details and they are so rare, I rarely got to see these details.

I never realized the mounting brackets were different and there are deflectors added.

I'm trying to be a good student but sometimes my enthusiasm gets in the way?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: JD on May 03, 2020, 07:37:17 AM
Had to find my images of the difference Bob is referring to...

hope this helps ...

the non-air examples are on the left side of these two comparisons.  Note the extra vertical piece to direct air into the radiators (both sides) and on the drivers' side, at the top the oval hole for access to A/C fitting.

Hey JD - could this extra metal piece on each side be a big block only situation? I ask, my 67 GT350 looks original in that area, but does not have the extra metal pieces, even though it's a factory AC car. I've attached a picture from when I first got the car.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

Ruben, the two cars I referenced above were both big blocks, not sure if that held for small blocks, others (Bob G) will know better.

Thanks for the image and bringing up the question...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

I have found other instances where otherwise unmolested factory air cars got the non A/C brackets. My conclusion based on the evidence at hand now is that sometimes mistakes happened, maybe for supply reasons or just not knowing any better on the part of the installer back in the day. The A/C brackets were what was meant to be used on a A/C car but that didn't always happen. I think it is more likely a mistake on the part of the installer because I have found the AC brackets used on a few non A/C cars too. I have seen the brackets on A/C  GT350's before too even though the GT500 is more apt to overheat compared to a GT350. We may never know the exact reason.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Given there were brackets with and without the flaps on the driver's side, but still had the horizontal oval cutout for AC hose clearance, is it most likely that there were two different types of AC related brackets at least for the driver's side?

And, agreed - the overheating issues on the big block cars (even without AC) would definitely give cause to having brackets with additional air reflector / directors towards the radiator area of the car.
Nothing beats a classic!