News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoration of 04052

Started by Peter L., March 08, 2018, 12:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

Have been slowly picking away at my KR as time permits. I have recently decided to go in a totally different direction.
    The car was crashed and rolled in around 1971, and so had only 21,000 original miles and was still wearing all of it's original black paint except for the roof and right quarter panel. Both were replaced sometime in the '70's/ '80's with a rust free roof skin and a factory Ford quarter panel. Some of the fiberglass was broken beyond repair and the doors and fenders suffered some slight damage. Other than a small hole in the trunk floor and a little rot under the battery box, the car is honestly rust free. Someone also decided to take the 4 speed out through the top, and carved a giant hole in the trans tunnel. I have since repaired that with a patch from a donor tunnel.
  Looking at the car I have decided to do some repairs and repaint what is necessary, buffing and preserving as much of the original paint as possible. I'm now planning to put the car back together and drive it.
I am in no way going to try and claim it to be a survivor or low mileage original. I just want to drive it for a couple of years and enjoy it, then make a decision as to the future of KR 04052.

Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Peter L. on March 08, 2018, 12:53:53 PM
Have been slowly picking away at my KR as time permits. I have recently decided to go in a totally different direction.
    The car was crashed and rolled in around 1971, and so had only 21,000 original miles and was still wearing all of it's original black paint except for the roof and right quarter panel. Both were replaced sometime in the '70's/ '80's with a rust free roof skin and a factory Ford quarter panel. Some of the fiberglass was broken beyond repair and the doors and fenders suffered some slight damage. Other than a small hole in the trunk floor and a little rot under the battery box, the car is honestly rust free. Someone also decided to take the 4 speed out through the top, and carved a giant hole in the trans tunnel. I have since repaired that with a patch from a donor tunnel.
  Looking at the car I have decided to do some repairs and repaint what is necessary, buffing and preserving as much of the original paint as possible. I'm now planning to put the car back together and drive it.
I am in no way going to try and claim it to be a survivor or low mileage original. I just want to drive it for a couple of years and enjoy it, then make a decision as to the future of KR 04052.

Pete.
I think that the collector car world would look at your situation and given the items mentioned that were ether replaced or repaired that there is not a substantial percentage of original paint to worry about . I would do what you want with the paint with a clear conscience. If it is presentable enough for you to drive and enjoy for a few years then I would go for it if that is your wish. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Peter L.

The doors and fenders will be repaired without having to get into repainting; a few dents and dings that i'm confident I can repair without having to repaint. But you are right, it is what it is, and should I decide to sell, I'm sure a running driving car will be much easier to sell than a bare shell with boxes of parts. lol.
  But for now, I want to drive the wheels off of it. Who knows, maybe even go to a few shows.

Pete.
KR 4052

OldMil

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Peter L.

Will be back in the garage this weekend, and will snap some pics.
KR 4052

Peter L.

Spent most of last weekend cleaning and making room for the dozens of boxes of parts. Had to build some more shelves, lol.
  Will try and get some pics of the car and post them.
Getting excited to start moving forward with the project, however unorthodox it may be.

Pete.
KR 4052

Peter L.

Emptied the car out the other night and power washed the shell (it's been sitting for a while). I have started to go through the many totes of parts to get an idea of what is what and where, lol.
  I'm starting to inventory what I have and what is missing. I seem to have doubles and even triples of some things ( I've been gathering parts for 20 yrs.) It's the old syndrome of finding a part that is a little better than the one you already have. Will for sure get some some pictures this weekend and post them.
  Getting excited again about the project and looking forward to working on it. You know, the "I'm not getting any younger" thing.

Pete.
KR 4052

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Peter L. on March 23, 2018, 03:17:11 PM
  Emptied the car out the other night and power washed the shell (it's been sitting for a while). I have started to go through the many totes of parts to get an idea of what is what and where, lol.
  I'm starting to inventory what I have and what is missing. I seem to have doubles and even triples of some things ( I've been gathering parts for 20 yrs.) It's the old syndrome of finding a part that is a little better than the one you already have. Will for sure get some some pictures this weekend and post them.
  Getting excited again about the project and looking forward to working on it. You know, the "I'm not getting any younger" thing.

Pete.
Pete,if time is important and you want to make it easier on yourself I would invest in a set of the assemblyline manuals for 1968 available from all of the major Mustang vendors . The illustrations are invaluable at saving time showing how the car goes together plus gives the added benefit of showing what fastener goes where if you invest in the companion AMK guide to fasteners book to decode the Ford used numbers to identify individual fasteners.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Peter L.

Great idea. Thanks for the input. My brother has 2 '68 Cobra jet cars, and I'm sure he has service manuals and a wealth of knowledge as well.
   Cheers,  Pete.
KR 4052

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Peter L. on March 23, 2018, 05:00:44 PM
  Great idea. Thanks for the input. My brother has 2 '68 Cobra jet cars, and I'm sure he has service manuals and a wealth of knowledge as well.
   Cheers,  Pete.
Keep in mind that "service manuals" are different then 'assemblyline manuals". They are commonly confused all of the time. The "service" or "shop" manuals came out for each year Ford model and are the common manuals that most people think of . They were used at Dealerships and auto repair shops etc. to diagnose problems and do repairs on multiple models of Fords. The service or shop manuals do not have a lot of illustrations on how the car is put together compared to the assemblyline manuals. The Assemblyline manuals on the other hand that I am referring to are specific in this case to Mustang and were only typically available to Ford aseemblyline personal to use as reference on how the Mustangs were put together when first assembled at the plants. There is a set of books. Each book covers a particular area like Chassis, Body ,Interior, Electrical, Weld /Sealant , and Engine. Get them all would be my advice.   Be specific when asking about them or looking for them. Make sure whoever you are asking about them knows the difference too.  ;) That way you will get the right books .

Coralsnake

If Peter wants pictures posted, I think we could find some

;D

Peter L.

Thanks, I will look into the assembly line manuals. Took a few pictures this weekend if anyone is interested.

Pete.
KR 4052

Peter L.

Was digging through all of the paperwork I got with the car and found the original build sheet and owners manual with the the stamp in it from Koons Ford. Too cool!
                                  Pete.
KR 4052

Jimbc123

Please do post pictures. They are always appreciated and informing.

Jim