Author Topic: Restoring (2) 67 GT 350's  (Read 2663 times)

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
Restoring (2) 67 GT 350's
« on: April 18, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »
I'm restoring two 67's I have.

One is a very early GT 350 (# 61)
And the other is a later 67  (#2716)

One of the end extensions has a part number and the other one doesn't

The early car has the part number...

Would all these parts originally have a number later on in the production?

Photo of extension of early GT 350 (# 61)
Nightmist/4 Speed

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:51:39 AM by capecodmustang.com »

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
Re: Restoring (2) 67 GT 350's
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 11:50:44 AM »
Photo of # 2716...
Nightmist Blue with AC

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »
I have 3074. It has no part numbers on the fender extensions. They appear to be original to the car.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
That's good to know..

I have two other double digit cars here and they appear to have part numbers..

Perhaps later on down the line the vendor changed and no part numbers were on them?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 12:15:51 PM »
I think at some point, after you assemble 1,000 cars or so maybe, you don't need a part number on them? Even so, they could have stuck on a paper/tape label?

They had to go on all of the cars so how retarded did you need to be to not know where they go?

Did they need to label the color too?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
  My 2 digit car had the part numbers.  Be careful you don't sand them off.  It's number 0036.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
The photos you posted appear to have the numbers on the back side - yes?

Most I've seen had them on the front side and have a tendency as Rod pointed out to be sanded off during re-paints.

Will look for an image...see attached in the general area of the green oval.

That's good to know..

Perhaps later on down the line the vendor changed and no part numbers were on them?

Vendor change or different vendor.

As a side note, as on the early cars, there was one screw at/near the very bottom, later cars the end cap "tails" got 3 screws.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 10:27:44 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 10:24:43 PM »
Check your upper air extractors.   You may find S7MS numbers in front of your scoop lights.   Check your steel frame decklid also.  There should be a S7MS number on the lower lip of the decklid.  I believe it is on the left lower side, visible with the lid open.  My 67 # 235 has these along with functional brake scoops.   My other car, 67# 2336, that I drove to high school in 1978, does not have the embossed numbers on the fiberglass and non-functional brake scoops.  Hey I ‘m restoring 2 cars also.

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 07:08:23 AM »
Check your upper air extractors.   You may find S7MS numbers in front of your scoop lights.   Check your steel frame decklid also.  There should be a S7MS number on the lower lip of the decklid.  I believe it is on the left lower side, visible with the lid open.  My 67 # 235 has these along with functional brake scoops.   My other car, 67# 2336, that I drove to high school in 1978, does not have the embossed numbers on the fiberglass and non-functional brake scoops.  Hey I ‘m restoring 2 cars also.

Actually, I own 67 # 225 too.
It's a white/4 speed that's another project.
It does have the S7MS in the scoops.

It seems as though the later cars did not have part numbers on these unique parts from my experience....

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 07:45:44 AM »
No numbers on 3074 fiberglass at all. They were not sanded off and are original to the car. I stripped and painted them so I have first hand knowledge.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were even more then two variations of each. How many vendors of the parts were there throughout the production run?

In retrospect I am surprised that Ford didn't make them fix the fit of the nose to the hood? Lots of running changes on these cars that didn't get standardized until close to the end of the production run.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »
The photos you posted appear to have the numbers on the back side - yes?

Most I've seen had them on the front side and have a tendency as Rod pointed out to be sanded off during re-paints.

Will look for an image...see attached in the general area of the green oval.

That's good to know..

Vendor change or different vendor.

As a side note as on the early cars the was one screw at/near the very bottom, late cars the end cap "tails" got 3 screws.

That's great information JD..
And photos..

Bret

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »
  Deck lid on the early cars.  Yes, mine had them too.  But, I had to delaminate the glass from the metal underliner to rebond it.  Lost the number on the deck lid then.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
  Deck lid on the early cars.  Yes, mine had them too.  But, I had to delaminate the glass from the metal underliner to rebond it.  Lost the number on the deck lid then.

Sorry for the image quality/clarity but shows the location...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0